Teaching online gives you the flexibility to tailor your work schedule according to your preferences. However, it also requires careful time management to create engaging and impactful learning experiences for your students. In this article, we explore strategies that will help you make the most of your time and resources while teaching online.
Establishing a Structured Routine
Utilizing Digital Tools for Organization
Implementing a Staggered Assignment Due Date Plan
Incorporating Self-Care and Breaks
Proactive Steps Before the Semester Begins
To set yourself up for effective time management in the online teaching environment, take proactive steps before the semester starts:
- Utilize Templates: Make use of templates for various aspects of the course, such as emails and course syllabi, to streamline course preparation and ensure consistent communication with your students.
- Leverage Canvas Features: Maximize the features of your learning management system (such as Canvas) by scheduling weekly announcements about assignments and creating a library of frequently used comments for providing feedback. Additionally, always double-check hyperlinks in course materials to ensure a seamless learning experience for your students. Be sure to check out our post “Top 3 Time-Saving Canvas Tools” to learn even more time-saving tools.
- Seek Feedback and Reflect: Embrace a growth mindset and continually seek feedback from your students and colleagues. Utilize a midterm survey to gather feedback in real-time, allowing you to make necessary adjustments to the course.
- Engage with Colleagues: Actively participate in discussions with colleagues and attend faculty development offerings. These interactions provide valuable opportunities to exchange ideas and learn from each other’s experiences, ultimately helping you grow as an online educator.
- Keep a Teaching Journal: To remain organized and prepared for future course iterations, maintain a teaching journal. This will help you reflect on your pedagogical practices and jot down ideas for improvement.
Teaching online presents its unique set of opportunities and challenges. However, with these effective time management strategies in place, you can confidently deliver exceptional online instruction while efficiently managing your time and resources in the virtual classroom.