LockDown Browser is a custom browser that restricts students to just the Canvas testing environment. When instructors specify that a quiz must be taken using the LockDown Browser, students are unable to print, copy, visit other websites, access other applications, or close a quiz until it is submitted for grading. The primary application for LockDown Browser is proctored testing in campus computer labs, but it can also be used for online “take-home” tests.
LockDown Browser is ideal for settings like on-campus computer labs, where a live proctor (such as the course instructor or TA) will be present to monitor students as they take the assessment. While it can be installed on students’ personal computers and used for asynchronous assessments, LockDown Browser alone does not offer recording and reporting options like other full remote proctoring services.
If you are new to using LockDown Browser, CIRT recommends scheduling a consultation to discuss considerations and implications for LockDown Browser before using it with your course.
How to Get Started with LockDown Browser
- Email email@example.com and let us know if you plan to use LockDown Browser in a computer lab or want to have the browser installed on students personal computers.
- Include in your course syllabus:
This course requires the use of LockDown Browser for online exams. LockDown Browser is a custom browser that locks down the testing environment in Canvas. Download and install LockDown Browser from this link:
To take an online test, start the LockDown Browser application and navigate to the exam. (You won’t be able to access the exam with a standard web browser.) For additional details on using LockDown Browser, visit the Respondus Student Support page.
When taking an online exam, follow these guidelines:
- Ensure you’re in a location where you won’t be interrupted.
- Turn off all mobile devices, phones, etc.
- Clear your desk of all external materials – books, papers, other computers, or devices.
- Remain at your desk or workstation for the duration of the test.
- LockDown Browser will prevent you from accessing other websites or applications; you will be unable to exit the test until all questions are completed and submitted.
- Set up your exam(s) in Canvas; be sure to set a test availability window.
- Add LockDown Browser in your Canvas Course navigation, then enable the exam.
Set up a LockDown Browser Practice Quiz
Ensure your first exam using LockDown Browser runs smoothly! Have students take an ungraded practice quiz that requires the use of LockDown Browser before the graded exam occurs.
Leave the quiz available for the duration of the course, with unlimited attempts, so students can access it again if they use a different computer.
LockDown Browser System Requirements for Students
Windows: 10 and 11
Mac: OS 10.13 to 13.0+
iOS: 11.0+ (iPad only). Must have a compatible LMS integration.
Chromebook: see details
Windows: 75 MB permanent space on the hard drive
Mac: 120 MB permanent space on the hard drive