Honorlock is the online proctoring service adopted for use with Distance Learning courses. Honorlock provides services similar to what a student would experience when visiting a testing center, with identity verification and capture of that ID, and monitoring and recording of the testing environment, which may include a room scan of the surrounding exam environment. The service uses a Chrome extension and records the webcam and screen activity during the exam period.
Honorlock is only available for use in Distance Learning courses. Instructors must contact CIRT to have this tool installed, even if it has been used for the same course in a previous term.
Getting Started with Honorlock
- Email email@example.com to request assistance with getting Honorlock set up in your course.
- Include the following information in your syllabus:
This course will use Honorlock proctoring for some exams. Honorlock records the visual, audio, and desktop aspects of your exam, and you may be required to perform a room scan. You will need a laptop or desktop computer, webcam, and microphone in order to use this tool. Chrome is the only compatible browser and you will need to install the Honorlock extension; Honorlock also requires an up-to-date OS. You will be required to perform an ID verification as part of the test taking process. Acceptable forms of identification include government-issued ID cards, school-issued ID cards, or passports. Additional information, FAQs, and important updates to minimum system requirements can be found on UNF’s Student Honorlock Information page.
- Consult the Honorlock Best Practices document for syllabus language, links to instructor and student guides, and steps for enabling your exams and reviewing results.
- Create a Practice Quiz for students and require that they complete it before the first exam. This will allow students to correct any technical issues.
- Develop your exam using Canvas Quizzes, and then enable it with Honorlock.
- After students have taken the exam, view the exam results and review any student videos through the Honorlock link in your Canvas course.
Honorlock System Requirements for Students
- A laptop or desktop computer (not a tablet), webcam, and microphone
- A stable and reliable internet connection
- Chrome is the only compatible browser (make sure third party cookies are enabled)
- Students need to install the Honorlock extension
- Mac users should refer to the Student FAQs for additional system preferences that may need to be adjusted for webcams
Honorlock no longer supports operating systems Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Mac OSX 10.11 and Mac OSX 10.12. If any students are using one of those operating systems, they will need to update their system in order to take exams with Honorlock. Students can check that they are able to run Honorlock by going to Honorlock’s Support page and running the System Check. If an upgrade is necessary, students can find information and guidance about the process by visiting the Honorlock Minimum System Requirements webpage. Students can receive support by contacting the UNF ITS Helpdesk at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Honorlock uses a Chrome extension and records the webcam and screen activity during the exam period. Honorlock’s privacy statement addresses how the use of the Chrome extension helps to protect student data and how they address other privacy issues.
- Watch the video: Honorlock Protects Student Privacy & Data
- Read: Top Seven Questions From Students About Privacy and Security With Honorlock
UNF’s contract with Honorlock includes protection for students’ personal information. Any data provided to or collected by Honorlock during a proctoring session is subject to the protections of FERPA and may only be used by Honorlock for the purpose of providing the proctoring services. Recorded proctoring sessions are deleted after the time for grade appeal has passed. Honorlock’s statement on FERPA can be found here.
Honorlock Support Information
Honorlock support can be reached through email at email@example.com, or via the live-chat option through the Honorlock link in Canvas.
Students can reach out to UNF Information Technology Services at firstname.lastname@example.org for troubleshooting assistance. For questions about the service itself, students can use the live-chat option either during their test, or through the Honorlock link in Canvas.
Instructors can email email@example.com for support with exam creation or assistance with Honorlock usage.
Honorlock Usage and Support Guides
- UNF Honorlock Best Practices for Instructors
- Faculty Guide (instructions on how to enable Honorlock for a test)
- Faculty Guide for 3rd Party exams (instructions on how to enable 3rd party exams in Honorlock)
- Practice Quiz (instructions on how to enable a practice quiz)
- Honorlock Standard Exam Guidelines (standard testing guidelines for students)
- Managing Exam Profiles (instructions on setting up and using exam profiles)
- View Results Guide (instructions on how to navigate recorded student session)
- Student Guide (instructions for students to get started using Honorlock)
- Student Guide for Third Party Exams (for exams in Pearson, MyMathLab, etc)
- Proper Room Scan (shows students how to perform a proper room scan)
- honorlock.com/support (students can test their system here and contact support)
- Student FAQs (with additional Mac user settings)
Consult the student page for information on Honorlock for students.