Important Note: The Grade Transfer tool is provided as a matter of convenience to UNF instructors, but users should not rely on this tool without verifying final grades in Banner. After submitting a grade transfer from within Canvas, instructors must review the information for accuracy in Banner and make adjustments if necessary.
The Grade Transfer Tool was specifically developed by UNF to assist faculty with the process of transferring student grades from a Canvas course to myWings and submitting final grades through Banner Self-Service. The UNF Grade Transfer Tool is available from the course navigation menu in every Canvas course.
The Grade Transfer Tool:
- Can transfer final grades for an entire course enrollment or selected students with one click.
- Works with cross-listed courses.
- Allows instructors to transfer student grades more than once. The most recent transfer is what will remain in Banner.
- Allows instructors to submit the last day of attendance for students with a grade of F or I.
- Allows for customized percentage scales within course grading schemes.
Note: Letter grades within customized grading schemes must correspond with letter grades that are accepted by Banner (A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, D, F, X, P).
✋Before Using the UNF Grade Transfer Tool
Please be aware of the following before accessing the UNF Grade Transfer Tool:
Only the instructor listed as the Primary Instructor on the course schedule can transfer the grades of a given section.
- This means that instructors will not be able to transfer grades for any student added to the course who is not officially enrolled in that specific section. Please check the roster in Banner Self-Service to ensure that all Canvas students are officially enrolled.
- Other instructors not listed as the primary instructor on the course schedule and TAs will not be able to use the Grade Transfer Tool.
Instructors must enable and select a grade scheme in the Canvas course settings.
- The Default Canvas grading scheme includes incompatible letter grades and cannot be used; the Banner Letter scheme or a customized grading scheme must be selected.
- Instructors may create a customized grading scheme, as long as letter grades within the customized grading scheme correspond with letter grades that are accepted by Banner (A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, D, F, X, P).
Note: Letter grades of A+ and C- will not be accepted by Banner and must not be included in customized grading schemes.
It is the students’ current scores that are transferred from Canvas to myWings. Ensure the grades shown in the Total column in the Canvas gradebook accurately reflect the students’ final scores by reviewing the following:
- Fill in any missing grades with zeroes. (The default grade function can be used to fill in missing grades for multiple students on an assignment.)
- If assignment group weights are being used, ensure assignment groups are weighted correctly.
The Grade Transfer Tool may be a little slow the first time it is launched after logging into Canvas. Please give it a few minutes to load before reporting to CIRT.
Accessing the UNF Grade Transfer Tool
The UNF Grade Transfer tool should be shown by default among the Course Navigation links within a Canvas course. If the UNF Grade Transfer navigation link is missing, it may need to be enabled using the following steps:
- Open the course Settings.
- Choose the Navigation tab.
- Drag the UNF Grade Transfer tool up into the enabled course navigation items list. (View the Canvas Guide on Managing Course Navigation Links)
- Scroll to the bottom of the page to save changes.
Using the UNF Grade Transfer Tool
Before submitting grades for transfer, instructors can review the student grade information for accuracy and make adjustments as necessary.
(A) Checkboxes: Select the box next to the names of the students whose grades are being transferred. To select all, click the box at the top of the column.
(B) Canvas Score/Canvas Grade: Canvas scores and grades represent the Total Score from the Canvas gradebook and correlate with the grading scheme that has been set for the course.
Note: Students who are auditing classes or who have been added to a Canvas course manually may show up in the Grade Transfer Tool roster even though their grades will not transfer to banner. For these students, instructors should leave the grade field blank in the Grade Transfer Tool.
(C) Override Grade: Instructors have the ability to override the grade from the Canvas gradebook if necessary by selecting the appropriate grade for an individual student from the dropdown menu.
(D) Last Attend Date: A Last Attend Date must be entered in the Grade Transfer Tool for students with a grade of F or I.
Note: The grade entered must be after the start of term. If not, the grade will not transfer to Banner. Once grades are transferred to the Final Grade Worksheet in myWings, the Attend Hours must be entered there. (Refer to the next section Submitting Grades in myWings for additional information.)
(E) Submit Grades: Select the checkbox above the Submit Grades button to acknowledge the statement, then click the Submit Grades button to begin the transfer. Transfer progress can be tracked in the Status column of the student table. After the transfer is complete, instructors must log into myWings to verify the transferred grades on the Final Grade Worksheet, and submit. (Refer to the next section Submitting Grades in myWings for additional information.)
Submitting Final Grades in myWings
Access the Final Grade Worksheet in Faculty Self-Service to confirm the grade transfer.
- Login to myWings at http://mywings.unf.edu.
- Select the Faculty & Advisors Menu.
- Click the Final Grades menu option.
- Select the Term and CRN for the course where grades are being submitted.
The grades transferred from Canvas will appear on the Final Grade Worksheet as pre-populated information. Please see the example below.
For students who earn a grade of F or I, the Last Attend Date and Attend Hours must be entered (see students 1, 2, 3, 5, and 8 as an example below). Please note that a missing date will cause the entire entry to be rejected.
Grades transferred using the Grade Transfer Tool in Canvas will have a Last Attend Date pre-populated, but Attend Hours must be entered before the worksheet can be submitted.
- Instructors can use the date of the last test or assignment submitted by the student if they do not regularly record class attendance.
- If the student did not attend the first day of class, please use that date as the Last Attend Date and list the Attend Hours as 0.
- If the student attended only the first day of class, please use that date as the Last Attend Date and list the Attend Hours as 1.
- Students who have withdrawn from a course will appear as Not Gradable.
- Students who registered in audit grading mode should receive a grade of X.
Once the appropriate entries have been made on the Final Grade Worksheet, click Submit. A status message should appear at the top of the worksheet page to confirm submission.
The following lists solutions to known issues commonly encountered by instructors while using the Grade Transfer Tool. As a best practice, instructors must review the information for accuracy in Banner after submitting a grade transfer from within Canvas and make adjustments if necessary.
- Grade transfers can only be completed by the user who is listed as the primary instructor of the course in Banner. Any user who is not the primary instructor will receive an error message when accessing the Grade Transfer Tool.
- Grade transfers can only be completed during the active grading window. This is an issue for 8 and 10 week courses. According to the Registrar, the next period to submit final grades cannot be customized for the non-traditional courses that are part of the full term, and there is regrettably no capability to open final grading on an individual basis. The final grading period must be opened at the same time for the entire university.
- Grades will not report correctly if the grading scheme in Canvas includes letter grades that are not accepted by Banner. Letter grades within customized grading schemes must correspond with letter grades that are accepted by Banner (A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, D, F, X, P). Letter grades of A+ and C- will not be accepted by Banner and must not be included in customized grading schemes.
- How a student’s name is displayed in Canvas may be different than the name displayed in Banner. This could be the result of the student having requested a preferred name change through the Office of Records and Registration. To avoid grade reporting errors, instructors are encouraged to verify the student’s identity by cross-referencing their N-number. Please refer to our support article titled Canvas / Preferred Names for more information.
- When exporting roster files from Banner and gradebook files from Canvas, special attention should be paid to the order in which student names are sorted in the downloaded files. The sorting order may differ slightly between files downloaded from Banner and those downloaded from Canvas.
- Students who are auditing classes or who have been added to a Canvas course manually may show up in the Grade Transfer Tool roster even though their grades will not transfer to banner. For these students, instructors should leave the grade field blank in the Grade Transfer Tool.
- The Grade Transfer Tool cannot be used to modify incomplete grades. To modify grades for an incomplete from a previous semester, instructors should access the Faculty Self-Service Page in MyWings, navigate to the Incomplete Grades tab, and make the adjustment manually. Refer to the Grading Guides section on the Records and Registration Faculty and Staff Resources page for step-by-step instructions.
For assistance with the UNF Final Grade Transfer Tool in Canvas, contact CIRT at firstname.lastname@example.org or (904) 620-3927. Please be sure to include the course name and CRN.