What is Respondus LockDown Browser?
LockDown Browser is a custom browser that restricts students to just the Canvas testing environment. When instructors specify that a quiz must be taken using the LockDown Browser, students are unable to print, copy, visit other websites, access other applications, or close a quiz until it is submitted for grading. The primary application for LockDown Browser is for proctored testing in campus computer labs, but it can also be used for online “take-home” tests.
From the Publisher
LockDown Browser® is a custom browser that locks down the testing environment within a learning management system. Used at over 2000 higher educational institutions, LockDown Browser is the “gold standard” for securing online exams in classrooms or proctored environments.
- Assessments are displayed full-screen and cannot be minimized
- Browser menu and toolbar options are removed, except for Back, Forward, Refresh and Stop
- Prevents access to other applications including messaging, screen-sharing, virtual machines, and remote desktops
- Printing and screen capture functions are disabled
- Copying and pasting anything to or from an assessment is prevented
- Right-click menu options, function keys, keyboard shortcuts and task switching are disabled
- An assessment cannot be exited until the student submits it for grading
- Assessments that are set up for use with LockDown Browser cannot be accessed with other browsers
LockDown Browser is available for use with all UNF courses. Instructors simply need to enable LockDown Browser within the Navigation settings of a Canvas course. Students will be required to install the LockDown Browser software before taking an exam.
CIRT recommends scheduling a consultation to discuss considerations and implications for LockDown Browser before using it with your course.
This and similar apps featured in the following collections:
Supplementary to Respondus’ Official Support Center, CIRT has created the following support documents related to this app: