What is Office 365?
Office 365, now known as Microsoft 365, is a suite of cloud-based productivity tools and services offered by Microsoft. It provides a collection of applications and services that are widely used in both personal and professional settings.
UNF provides students and employees access to OneDrive, a cloud base storage drive with five terabytes (TB) of space available for University files that can be used for file sharing with other Office apps.
From the Publisher
In today’s landscape, it is more important than ever that higher education institutions reimagine the campus experience. Technology has a critical role in driving this transformation. Microsoft can help drive innovative student engagement, transform operations, and ensure a secure, connected campus to empower you to reimagine education.
Microsoft 365 includes the following key components:
- Microsoft Word: A word processing application used for creating and editing documents.
- Microsoft Excel: A spreadsheet program used for data analysis, calculations, and creating charts.
- Microsoft PowerPoint: A presentation software for creating slideshows and visual presentations.
- Microsoft Outlook: An email client and personal information manager for managing emails, calendars, contacts, and tasks.
- Microsoft OneNote: A digital note-taking application that allows users to capture and organize their notes, ideas, and information.
- Microsoft Teams: A collaboration platform that enables users to communicate, collaborate, and conduct online meetings through text, voice, and video calls.
- Microsoft SharePoint: A web-based collaborative platform used for document management, team sites, and intranets.
- Microsoft OneDrive: A cloud storage service that allows users to store, access, and share files and folders across devices.
The Office 365 integration in Canvas is a useful tool that allows instructors to easily share documents or initiate collaborations from the instructor’s OneDrive account with their students in a safe and secure manner that does not affect your Canvas Storage limits.
Documents like Microsoft Narrated PowerPoints, video lecture recordings, or large PDF copies of textbooks can eat up copious amounts of storage space in your Canvas account — all instructors have a maximum amount of 1 GB of storage for their course and individual documents are limited to 500 MB. The Office 365 LTI tool can help to eliminate storage concerns and still allow an instructor to share vital course materials with their students.
Office 365 is already installed university wide as a Canvas App and is available for all instructors inside the Canvas course. Links to One Drive files can be created from within the Rich Content Editor or added as module items.